Thursday, December 13, 2007

Bring a dish...

I meet with 8 other women in a mom's bible study on Monday mornings. I truly learn so much from these women. I learn about being a better mom, a better citizen, a better volunteer, a better wife, a better cook. Who am I kidding, I can't be a better cook. I am not a cook at all.
A few weeks ago one woman was telling about the breads she was making and the yeast that was passed down to her by her grandmother's yeast...collection...pile...clump??
Others chimed in about baking, and tips were shared about chopping nuts and freezing bananas and drizzling drizzle on top. I sit in suspended animation when they talk about such domestics. I feel exposed - someone is surely going to discover that I am clueless - yet I just smile and nod. But last week, they smoked me out.
Someone mentioned the advice her grandmother gave her about staying in-good with the in-laws. "Just give 'em a little squeeze and always bring a dish." All present, agreed with amusement but I stared blankly. "A Dish?" I blurted out.

This was an aha moment for me.

Last year, at Creighton's big family Christmas gathering, I noticed - I swear for the first time - that the other sisters-in-law had ALL brought a dish. How did they know to do that? I never got a memo about bringing a dish.
That's it. There IS no memo. Bringing a dish is just advice that is passed down like yeast from your grandmother's collection...pile...clump of "vital tidbits every wife and mother needs to know".
My life would be so much easier if someone could just compile these elusive tidbits into a simple, step-by-step manual. I could study it before I face the Moms on Monday morning.

1 comment:

steve and randel hambrick said...

i'm laughing. too funny! you didn't know about "the dish"?? hehehe
by the way, you may not cook but you can throw together an AMAZING salad woman :)