Monday, October 10, 2011

Living with chickens


I was so thrilled a month ago to get my young hens. The woman from whom I bought them told me that they were growing and would be close to laying within weeks. I waited - pregnant with anticipation.
You can imagine my surprise to discover that these hens, ahem, were not actually hens at all. They began to "cockadoodledoo" last week.




Yeah, I was likely tricked into buying roosters, as I haven't the slightest knowledge of the distinction of male and female in the black osterlorp breed (or of any breed for that matter). Thing is, now the children have already fallen in love with these birds! They are so tame and funny.
So, needless to say, we are keeping them. And Iris and Daisy have been appropriately renamed.

3 comments:

Dana said...

You left us hanging....what are their new names? Are they responding to their new names? Is there any residual damage to "girl" names or gender confusion on their part?? Have they shown any signs of aggression now that they know they are males? What's happening?!?!?

hahahahaha

Unknown said...

LOL!!
Their names are Lucky and Clover!

Angelia Sims said...

Oh my gosh! How funny! I guess you have some very loved pets instead of fresh eggs. LOL.