Thursday, December 5, 2013

Christmas Traditions: The Tree

When I was young, my family lived in Colorado and New Mexico. I remember getting on the snow mobile or the horse-drawn sled (true-story) and venturing out to find a Christmas tree. My dad would chop it down with an axe, and we would shake off the snow, load it into the house, and spend time together decorating our tree. I remember that mom had ornaments that were special to her. I remember the crackle of the fire warmth of family time. I remember the scent of the tree filling the house and the sound of children's laughter.
The Christmas tree tradition for my own family looks a bit different, but the elements of simplicity, warmth and family remain a priority. We usually try to find a living tree which we can re-plant after the season is over (some years are more successful than others). We decorate with white lights and the occasional popcorn & cranberry garland. The children assist in preparing the perfect location for the tree. As we decorate, we pause to experience the texture and aroma of this coniferous beauty.

I enjoy seeing the gorgeous tree photos my friends' share during Christmas. And I would love hearing the stories of your own tree traditions.

No comments: