Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Losing my "Cool"

Even as I have aged, I have, over the years, continued to value style. I have tried to stay healthy and fashionably current, and to keep some sense of youthfulness.
Well, as I exited Target today, I had an "aha" moment. Wow, it is finally happening. I am losing my cool - - - ness.

Here is how it all unfolded.

I was looking great. I had on my new Silver jeans and my sweet diesel slides. Unfortunately, while we were in Target, my 2 yr. old barfed all over both of them. Great. How hip am I? Barf all over my jeans and shoes - pushing a huge cart of groceries and a ghostly-white sick child, while barking orders at the other two. "Hurry! Stay right with me! Pick up the pace! Hustle! Heads up in the parking lot!

So I am looking down at my soiled jeans and shoes, just trying to get my 3 children to the car. And as I look at my car, I realize........I am walking toward a mini-van. Yes, I just purchased a mini-van. A mini-van! Nothing says, "I don't care about my image", like cruising up in a mini.

As if that weren't enough, I start digging around in my bag for my phone (my new i-phone GEN1 because I'm cool) and remember that at some point during my shopping experience at Target, I hooked my phone onto my belt. I kid you not. I hooked my i-phone onto my belt.

Needless to say, this is a hard pill to swallow. The pill: middle-age.

Why is it so hard for me to accept that I am no longer the bomb-digity, cool-beans, it's all good, bag of chips??

Actually, middle-age-ness is a good thing. This is a time in a persons life when they get to say, "F-U to fashion" and wear business socks with birkenstocks and cargo shorts. Hey, if "momjeans" are more comfy - go for it.

I should embrace the middle ages.

This is the understanding that practical weighs more than vogue. Comfort outlasts appearance. Utility outplays trendy. These are good things. These are good things. These are good things. These are good things. Good things. Good things.

1 comment:

steve and randel hambrick said...

nikki!! there is NOTHING uncool about you! even covered in barf.
come on, SILVER jeans (what could be cooler?), a new awesome yellow jacket, and other various stylin' stuff. girl, you rock. (even with a minivan)

hil-air-ree-us post my friend. i was particularly surprised and amazed that you wrote F-U.. too funny!

love you!
p.s. what the heck about the mini?? what kind, etc??