Friday, August 20, 2010

Bad School Mom III: One week down, 32 to go!


It was a great week - - ok, HALF A WEEK. My reformation seems to be going well so far... I got up early each morning. I stuck to my schedule. We got everything done in the mornings: bathe, brush teeth, get dressed (with clothes we picked out the night before), eat a healthy breakfast, Namaste' (breathing/stretching/moving our bodies), prayer time, and most importantly, an on-time arrival time to school.

I had an AHA moment when reflecting on my new found routine. I realized that having a schedule actually FREES me to do the things I aspire to do.

Huh? Wha? Come-again?

I have always been a free-spirit.

I will now confess my former attitude toward scheduling:

1. Scheduling is for OCD, A.R. people.
2. Scheduling is bondage. It ties me down to something. If I write it down, I am committed to it.
3. I'm not any good at it.

What I realized is that, while I may have a propensity toward being a non-committal free-spirit, having a schedule does not tie me down. Conversely, it actually creates the space I need to accomplish my goals.

I never have looked at scheduling like this before. I can not express the joy I feel when I drop my kids off after a relaxed, non-rushed, enjoyable morning.

I hesitate to mention how great this half-week has been because I don't want to jinx the success I have felt, sticking with the schedule. But I wanted to share with you because this truly is a victory for me!

So BRING IT ON, you other 280 days of school!

2 comments:

Chels said...

Nik, you totally PUNKED this week! Mornings have nothing on you, sister. Here's to 280 more successful, organized peaceful mornings! Love you so much!

Lara said...

ha! too funny. i knew you had it in ya! I on the other hand am so exhausted I don't know if it's morning or night, I'm just always getting somebody ready for something?!