Friday, March 6, 2009

Yoga

I want to encourage anyone out there who is getting oldish.

Try Yoga.

Ever since I got into it, I have felt healthier and stronger. My back feels great and I don't wake up with a stiff body.
Granted, you don't burn many calories like you do with Cardio. But as far as flexibility and strength go, it can't be beat.

If you are worried about the clear your mind meditation stuff - - most of the yoga I have seen in the past few years is simply fitness yoga.
I personally think the practice of yoga is very spiritual. I intentionally find moments in my poses to pray. Everytime I lift my arms to the sky or bring my hands to my heart, I whisper a little word of praise, "My all for you Jesus."

2 comments:

Chels said...

Nikki, I have recently discovered how amazing yoga is. I go twice a week and really look forward to it. After the class, I always sit for a few minutes and just shamelessly experience the relaxation... and then, I refuse to talk to anyone for, like, at least 20 minutes in order to really soak it all in. My goal is to be able to do a handstand by the end of the semester. Can you do a handstand?

Unknown said...

No handstand yet. I'd love to get to that. The thing I work on at home is holding poses as long as I can. I love the focus and balance. With the kids I am working on Tree Pose. We see how high we can count before someone moves.

Good job on the yoga!

I go 4x a week now and I crave it. My problem is that I can't afford personal lessons. I am typically in a class with about 60 people!

It is hard to soak it in when the LatinFusion instructor is practically pushing us out the door so she can start her class!