Saturday, April 25, 2009
My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today. ~Richard Adams, Watership Down
Our dog Starbuck chased his last bunny this morning at 7:45 am. He took off after it (while out for a quick morning pee), and ran straight into the street. In a split second - the car pummeled him. He never knew what hit him. He died instantly.
Sweet Starbuck, Master fetcher, ball dribbler, protector, patient playmate for the kids, brave leader for his brother Apollo. We will miss you terribly.
We had a sweet funeral for Starbuck today.
Creighton led us in a liturgy. Some neighbors joined us. We all took turns giving Starbuck a special gift and bidding him farewell. We buried him in the backyard underneath a Weeping Cherry tree we purchased for the occasion.
The thoughts that keep flooding my heart:
1. I am sooooo thankful it wasn't my kid running after that stupid rabbit.
2. In the blink of an eye, our lives can change forever (or end suddenly).
3. It sucks to walk around the house and see two of everything - two beds, two kennels, two dog bowls...
4. Apollo is pretty lost right now.
5. oh, and wow, we sure put a lot of money into that animal(totally worth every cent).