Friday, March 26, 2010

New cliches at work

The first church job I had, I was always astounded at how many cliches I heard. I wondered if this was a vocabulary that people learned in seminary or from the corporate world or simply from watching the movie Office Space.
I kid you not, my supervisor frequently used the phrase, "I'm gonna need you to go ahead and (FILL IN THE BLANK). So if you could go ahead and do that, that would be great. Thanks."

Here I am 10 years later, at mega-church-take-two. Only this experience is rainbows and roses compared to the prior. It is a significantly more healthy atmosphere. However, I am still intrigued by the amount of cliche action I get.

I have started a list of cliches I hear my co-workers (mostly the ones in leadership) throwing around every other hour. Terms like: "We had some misses on that" and "I'm gonna have to push back on that". Another one I enjoy hearing in meetings: "Could the two of you have that conversation OFF-LINE?"

There is a new one that brings a tear to my eye.
"Let's all stack hands on this".

I am going to keep the list going. Care to add to it??

7 comments:

choral_composer said...

One I hear at work in many different variants, is using the word 'Impact' badly.

How has your ministry impacted others this week?

How will this be impactful?

Tell as about moments of impact your ministry has had.

AARRRGGGHHHHHH

Andrew Conard said...

Hear, hear! Thanks for the post :)

Lauren W said...

Nikki- Just found your blog. Hooray!!

The phrase I always heard at my former church was- "See, the thing is- you're not looking at the bigger picture."

Apparently I enjoy small pictures.

Unknown said...

Last night my friend told me one she hears all the time:

That was a teachable moment.
Is this a teachable moment?
We had some real teachable moments there.

Shannon Mills said...

Least favorite of all time:

It's a God thing.

kathy said...

Let's unpack that.

Gable said...

Let go...let God.